CSLS Sessions at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Economics Association
Ottawa, Ontario- June 2-5, 2011
Note: The complete conference program and registration information are posted on the website of the Canadian Economics Association at www.economics.ca/2011/en/.
(as of May 17, 2011)
Session 1: New Insights into Productivity Growth in Canada
Saturday, June 4, 8:30-10:00 AM
Chair: Alice Nakamura (University of Alberta)
- Michael-John Almon (Industry Canada) and Jianmin Tang (Industry Canada)
"Industry Structure and Economic Growth: A Canada-U.S. Comparison"
- Ricardo De Avillez (Centre for the Study of Living Standards)
"The Paradoxical Nature of Productivity Growth in the Canadian Agriculture Sector"
- Christopher Ross (Centre for the Study of Living Standards)
"An Analysis of the Productivity Performance of the Canadian Food Processing Sector"
- Richard G. Harris (Simon Fraser University)
- Erwin Diewert (University of British Columbia)
- Serge Nadeau (University of Ottawa)
Session 2: What Explains the Growing Canada-US Productivity Gap?
Saturday, June 4, 10:30 AM-12:00 PM
Chair: Ian Stewart (Centre for the Study of Living Standards)
- Andrew Sharpe (Centre for the Study of Living Standards)
- Wulong Gu (Statistics Canada)
- Jim Milway (Institute for Competitiveness and Prosperity)
- Larry Shute (Industry Canada)
- Ben Tomlin (Bank of Canada)
Session 3: Selected Papers from the Ian Stewart Festschrift New Directions for Intelligent Government in Canada
Saturday, June 4, 2:00-3:30 PM
Chair: Fred Gorbet
- Munir Sheikh (Carleton University and Queen’s University)
"Good Data and Intelligent Government"
- John Helliwell (University of British Columbia and Canadian Institute for Advanced Research)
"How Can Subjective Well-being be Improved?"
- Pierre Fortin (UQAM)
"Income Support in the Canadian Federation"
Session 4: New Measures of Well-being for Canada
Sunday, June 5, 9:00-10:30 AM
Chair: Lars Osberg (Dalhousie University)
- Elspeth Hazell (Centre for the Study of Living Standards)
"The Human Development Index in Canada: Estimates for the Canadian Provinces, 1990-2010"
- Hans Messinger (Statistics Canada) and Bryan Smale (University of Waterloo)
"An Overview of the Canadian Index of Wellbeing"
- Erik Johnson (Centre for the Study of Living Standards)
"An Analysis of the Inequality of Happiness in Canada"
- Michael McCracken (Informetrica)
- Michael Wolfson (University of Ottawa)
- Christopher Barrington-Leigh (University of British Columbia)